Students Organizations & Conference Travel
ESS works closely with several UNM-chartered student organizations. Involvement in a student organization offers students the opportunity to develop strong leadership skills, travel to career conferences, participate in community outreach programs, network with industry leaders, and qualify for private industry scholarships & awards.
Students are encouraged to participate in STEM-related, UNM-chartered student organizations throughout their academic program in order to gain valuable leadership & networking skills to help them secure a summer internship or full-time career upon graduation.
Active participation in a student organization offers students the chance to travel to various career conferences, compete for additional outside scholarships, get involved in community service work and meet other students and leaders from around the world.
The School of Engineering Engineering Council consists of a Student Council Leader (appointed by the SoE Dean) and the SoE student organization presidents (or their delegates). The purpose of this council is to connect the student leadership for a more cohesive and collaborative approach to student involvement. The council meets a few times a semester to meet each other, build collaborations, and coordinate events within the student orgs and with the SoE and ESS. The Student Council Leader serves a join appointment as the council coordinator and the ASUNM Join Council representative for Engineering and advocates on behalf of the student groups. The current Student Leader is Emily Ganley (firstname.lastname@example.org), a senior in the Chemical & Biological Engineering Department.
School of Engineering student organizations:
- Hispanic Engineering & Science Organization (HESO )
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM)
- Society of Enabled Engineers (SEE)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Tau Beta Pi – The Engineering Honor Society
- Engineers Without Borders (EWB)
Chemical and Biological Engineering
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers Student Chapter (AiChE)
- Graduate Student Association (CBE/BME-GSA)
- American Nuclear Society Student Chapter (ANS)
- Institute of Nuclear Materials Management Student Chapter (INMM)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Pi Tau Sigma, National Engineering Society
- Mechanical Engineering Graduate Association (MEGA)
- Formula SAE (FSAE)
Civil, Construction & Environmental Engineering
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Water Works Association (AWWA)
- ASCE New Mexico Section
- Associated General Contractors of America (AGC)
- AGC New Mexico (AGC-NM)
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)
- Lobo Builders National Association of Homebuilders (NAHB) Student Chapter
- Water Environment Federation (WEF)
Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Association of Computers and Machinery
- Lobo Women and Computing
Visit the Student Activities Center to see an entire listing of UNM chartered student organizations.