Internal Internship Programs
Getting real-world job experiences before graduating is one of the more beneficial experiences for your satisfaction with your undergraduate experience. Internships give you the opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience while making connections in professional fields you are considering for career paths. Additionally, employers seek students who are career ready (https://unm5.unm.edu/).
This includes joining us for our ACED Professional Development series.
Our internal programs include:
- State Private Sector Program (SPSP) Internship Opportunity
- SOE Career Development (CD) Internship Program
- Summer Internship Opportunities
In addition to the programs below, make sure to check out our co-curricular experiences to help develop your marketability for your future.
Note: participation in this opportunity necessitates participation in the SoE Co-Op Program (see below).
(Spring/Fall. Looking for regionally local companies to offer the internships.)
The SPSP internship program, a state funded program, allows UNM to pay 2/3 of the student intern's stipend. These are 12-week 12-15 hours per week, internships. This opportunity gives students practical on-site job training and are available to UNM’s SoE Juniors and above (including graduate students) with a minimum 3.0 GPA and are in good standing in their department. US Citizenship is required.
Note: participation in this opportunity necessitates participation in the SoE Co-Op Program (see "Additional Info" below).
(Spring/Summer/Fall. Looking for regionally local companies to offer the internships.)
An internally funded program that allows UNM to pay 50% of the student intern’s stipend. These are 8-week, 15–20 hours per week internships. They provide student interns practical on-site job training and are available to SoE Sophomores and above (including graduate students) with 3.0 GPA average and are in good standing in their department. There are no citizenship requirements (international students – see additional information below).
Students who are looking for summer internships, please complete THIS Summer internship form.
SoE Co-Op Program.
- The Cooperative education is a college program that integrates classroom studies with paid, productive, real-life work experience in a degree related field. The SPSP internship program and the SOE CD internship program require that the participating student complete a co-op form. The co-op program requires the student participating in the internship program to enroll in a co-op course. The UNM co-op program provides students with the opportunity to have their experience reflected on their transcript but will not impact the student’s GPA.
- All international engineering and computing students, wishing to participate in a paid internship program (SOE CD internship program) must comply with UNM and GEO procedures. International students need to complete a co-op form (OPC or CPT) and obtain the required signatures from career services, GEO, including the signature of the SoE Associate Dean, Dr. Charles Fleddermann giving them permission to participate.
- “Curricular practical training” or “CPT” is employment that is an integral or important part of your curriculum, including: alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required employment, internship or practicum. To be considered curricular practical training, the work must be related to your major field of study and must also be an integral part of your studies. Training which is REQUIRED by your degree program always meets the requirements for curricular practical training, regardless of whether or not you receive academic credit for your work.
Resume & Cover letter Help
Contact Doug Williams, the NASTEM coordinator at email@example.com or (505) 277-0431
Students can visit our Career & Professional Development resource page to learn about additional internship and job opportunities which students can apply to on their own. Also listed are opportunities for students at government labs and agencies, such as Sandia National Labs (SNL), Los Alamos National Labs (LANL), and Air Force National Labs (AFRL), and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), etc.