Be a peer-mentor.
We are looking for undergraduate (with at least 2 semesters completed at UNM) and graduate Engineering & Computer Science students.
SEMESTERLY DEADLINES: February 5 and September 5.
Matches will be announced by the following Wednesday.
Be the light for our new students. Help others learn from your experiences. Everyone has a different story and path, but we are all on the journey together.
This will a parallel program to the STEM Mentoring program. Undergraduate (with at least 2 semesters completed at UNM) and Graduate Engineering & Computing students will be assigned 5 incoming students (transfer or new) to make direct contact with and touch base throughout the semester. This allows there to a personal connection to somebody within the School of Engineering early on. The goal of this program is to eventually have enough mentors that we can pair all new students with a student mentor. And, to help with the transition into UNM.
As a result of COVID-19: we ask that all participants be willing to meet either by phone call, zoom meeting, or at on an outdoor location for an in-person, yet socially distant interaction. We will have the STEM Mixer, but this will be virtual.
- You must attend an orientation session to be assigned mentees (see "To Join the Program").
- At a minimum, student mentors will reach out to their mentee at least once a month. More frequent communications is highly encouraged.
- Mentors will set up face-to-face meetings with responsive mentees.
- Engage in the mentoring relationship with an open mind.
- Commitments are for the current semester only. The opportunity to continue beyond the current semester is possible, but not required.
- There is no GPA requirement for our mentors, but we expect your education and courses to take priority.